not gonna lie to you, this month has been pretty fricking awful. i spent most of it sick with what was either bronchitis or walking pneumonia, which i couldn’t do much about. i not only have no health insurance, i also have no childcare, so i suffered through about 3 weeks of the worst cough ever and slowly, finally started to feel less terrible. i mustered the strength to put on actual clothes only a few days this month, pictured above. apart from feeling like physical hell, i’ve also been going through a sort of emotional hell, one that feels heavier than my usual bad weather depression. here’s hoping the clouds start to lift. throwing on my attico velvet ankle cuffs and all my pairs of boots to cheer up some.
- browns is one of my favorite sites to look over, although just about everything is way, way-way out of my price range. they do always have fairly killer sales, and i’m super in love with this pink plastic raincoat from proenza schouler, so here is hoping for a big fat discount.
- this little puff shoulder tinsel wrap dress from topshop is thee perfect holiday party dress.
- i believe these velvet over the knee boots from mango to be the perfect pair. heel height looks highly walkable, and gray goes with everything.
- really considering a little hand clothing steamer, because ironing is the worst, kid! amazon is usually good for gadget sales.
- hoping net-a-porter doesn’t disappoint this year, so that i can own this byredo burning rose candle.
- flannel jammies feel really necessary all the sudden. these j.crew guys look perfect. last year the crew was 40% off everything for black friday.
- this asymmetric plaid dress from a.w.a.k.e. is the stuff dreams are made of. hoping matches kicks up the percentage off the sale section this year.
- i am coo-coo-crazy about these tricolor heels from creatures of comfort (which can, like most things, be traced back to ysl). need supply will be giving 20% off this year.
- i’ve been petting these round pintuck pillows at urban outfitters for months. i heard tell everything will be buy one, get one 50% off for black friday.
- lastly, glossier is going 20% off everything and free shipping for black friday. i’ve got my eye on the boy brow & haloscope duo.
- i bought my first red winter coat at the age of 21, from the j.crew catalog. it was a bright, fire engine red wool peacoat and it made me incredibly happy to put it on in the midst of terrible weather. seeing this jil sander one on the real real made me smile.
- i am so crazy about this ashley williams haircut hoodie, with river phoenix on the back. a childhood crush for the ages.
- i have been searching for the perfect pair of white moccasin boots since celine sent them down the runway for fall/winter. i feel like these may be the perfect pair, but alas, i am no size 7.
- alessandro michele declared tights! and suddenly i want to wear them again. i’m partial to the red gucci interlocking g ones, but equally in love with these white balenciaga ones. also, still searching for the right glitter socks, and i believe these rachel comey’s to be them.
- the ladies at sephora are really pushing the latest retinol prods from murad. i tried the new eye cream and holy wow, it brightened the feck out of my raccoon eyes. that might just justify $85.
- this maryam nassir zadeh belt really does it for me. all the way.
- how cute is this dr. jart tarot of masks set?
- lately i feel like this j.w. anderson butterfly hem dress is the perfect dress, a wardrobe staple to beat the band. 40% off still makes it 672 more dollars than i have to spend on a dress. but i can still love it from a far.
- eyeing this faux-celine ring sweatshirt from pixie market.
- corduroy pants! corduroy pants are all i want right now. especially these acne studio guys because every dang affordable version is sold out!
- this velvet hair tie from j. crew is the sweetest thing ever.
- this vintage anna sui bodysuit made me say “what!” out loud. so, so good.
- these vintage studded celine heels are the most it of all the its!
an odd october, and one that flew by. wildfire panic and what felt like endless smokey days trapped indoors. once the fires settled i felt incredibly grateful to be outside, breathing fresh air. every weekend visiting family or up to something in the yard. doing my best to remember to enjoy every minute of sunshine while it lasts by not complaining about flukey hot days. letting myself be moved by twinkling bridge lights and burnt umber leaves and the glorious symmetry of solange and her band, by cupcake squeals and joan didion’s long fingers and california digger pines.
- really appreciating the early-mid 90’s maison margiela collections that vogue has posted. especially fond of spring 95, which looks so incredibly right now to me.
- inspired, as ever, by this interview with patti smith. loving this advice: “It’s really hard starting the day quick looking to see what bad thing has happened [on the news]. So start the day, drink a glass of water, think about what you want to do today, think about what makes you happy. Any small thing to start the day feeling some energy for and enthusiasm for life, because it’s so easy to get beaten down as soon as you wake up.”
- i love this collection of candid fan snapshots of john lennon & yoko ono. yoko in 1980 is my current style crush.
- my new favorite etsy shop is fresh to death vintage. they have pretty much everything i either wore or seriously wished my mom would have bought for me in the 80’s/early 90’s. this includes a B.U.M. Equipment sweatshirt, a Caboodles makeup storage case, and this super hot puff sleeve denim jacket that i want sewww bad.
- words cannot express my excitement over the joan didion documentary, which is out today on netflix. feels like i have been waiting for literal ever.
- hunza g has a new swimwear collection and i have all the heart eyes for it.
- to quote my dear friend greti: “never has there been a leo who wasn’t obsessed with their hair.” after a blonding session left my hair mega fried i was feeling mega depressed. i decided to invest in some new hair products. i have been using kerastase’s reconstructing shampoo along with joico’s k-pak reconstructor and i’m starting to see an improvement in the frazzled straw-y-ness of my hair. it’s looking less sad and therefore i am feeling less sad.
- i made the huge mistake of trying sprout’s coconut rolls about a month ago. i literally dream of them now. they’re magical.
- super stoked about the new proenza schouler lower priced PSWL line, the teaser pictures starring chloe sevigny are amazing.
- been hearing bob dylan’s you’re a big girl now with fresh ears lately. it’s so full of everything i love about dylan: that biting sorrow and high lonesome cadence, so fraught with regret. sometimes i worry that this song gets lost in the shuffle of blood on the tracks, sandwiched in between heavy hitters simple twist of fate and idiot wind, but for me, it’s the one. i love this alternate version, but for my money the album track with it’s steady rhythm can’t be beat.
a crazy october filled with threats of phantom illnesses and wildfires, heavy air and moody weather, so many family visits and semi-fancy outings. doing my best not to shop and so digging into my closet for a remix. feeling fully inspired by this celine outfit shown for spring, and real glad that i happen to own a pink ultra suede dress (a vintage bill blass one, found at a thrift store with the actual 1970’s i. magnin tags still attached). going through my annual boot crisis (the one where i feel like i am racing the clock against crap weather to find the perfect pair of boots- which does not exist or at least can’t be selected from the blurring masses of beautiful pairs). enjoying cooler days that allow for turtlenecks (which do a lot for my manky old lady neck) but don’t yet require a coat, but secretly savoring the random heat wave before another winter. cashing in coupon codes and gift cards to buy this satin culotte jumpsuit (because i so can’t afford the real thing). wearing said jumpsuit to see the incredibly staggeringly gorgeous solange and trying not to cry when too many plastic cups of cheap champagne forced me to use the bathroom where puddles of manky sewer water soiled my pant leg. upon exiting the bathroom i exclaimed to my best friend and all the sympathetic ladies in line, “i got toilet water on my beautiful outfit!” overall, embracing the toilet water smudges and school visitor name tag stickers and recycled outfits and walkable shoes.