this week i have decided to officially throw my hands up and surrender to fall. because summer just kinda never happened, and i’m tired of hearing myself complain. the good news is that i sense that this fall will be as cloaked in velvet as the front row at a stevie nicks concert. having come of age in the 90’s, velvet holds a special place in my heart. 90’s nostalgia has been ruling the runway for several seasons now, but there’s something wonderful about seeing velvet everything, slip dresses (over t-shirts), chokers and winona ryder on the cover of magazines that makes it feel more radical, perhaps because these things are now being made by big fashion houses and big fashion magazines instead of the teen beats. it’s the 90’s for grown ups. and so, in anticipation of the barrage of velvet that is about to hit your face i thought i would hit first with some of my faves.
- let’s start with the most over the top fabulous of all over the top fabulous velvet items, shall we? it’s these over the knee velvet boots by aquazzura. fab-u-liss.
- if $900 is a little out of your price range, might i suggest these truly sick vintage velvet sock boots that only cost $28, are direct from the 90’s, and also happen to be oh so vetements.
- next up is the object of my obsession: dries van noten cap toe velvet ankle boots, a pair of boots so gorgeous that they make me actually want to wear the color purple, a phenomenon that has not occurred since i was a quirky 12 year old.
- the dries boots are so amazing that they have inspired about a million rip offs. the steve madden version will run you about $130, as will the topshop version.
- a velvet handbag is pretty crucial in my book. i’m fairly crazy about this little vintage number over on etsy, but if you’re looking to go big i say go ysl or go yee home.
- about that slip dress: this hillier bartley stunner feels like the one, but i have to admit that the zara version is crazy good too.
- next we have velvet chokers, which make the goth teenager in me oh so happy. not only is there is the $14 urban outfitters version, there is also the gorgeous $600 version, one of several velvet chokers ranging from $300-$3000 up for grabs on moda operandi right now. if you’re fancy.
- this high neck rouched velvet isabel marant top is killing me.
- vetements did a purple velvet suit, and the trousers are the jam. or the grape jammy jam toast, if you will.
- while we’re on the subject of jammy velvet pants: isa arfen gave us these paper bag waisted guys, once again proving her supreme jammyness.
- next up is a little velvet bralette, to be worn over t-shirts or on its own.
- and the perfect t-shirt to wear under said bralette or slip dress is surely a free winona t-shirt.
- how about some crushed velvet socks?
- crushed velvet socks to be worn under vintage 90’s blue velvet strappy heels, of course.
- this amazing shopper by hayward might be worth the $650 price tag.
- last but not least are these adorable sweet lovely little ruby red velvet mary janes from mr. marc jacobs.