well it’s official: summer is here. hallelujah! it’s sort of hilarious how every year at the end of spring i whine about how it doesn’t feel like summer yet and then bam! a few hot days and i am in full on summer mode. consider me in full on summer mode. another hilarious thing that happens every year is that i tell myself i won’t be wearing shorts and then every summer i convince myself that i can still pull it off (although “pulling it off” only happens now because mom shorts are in fashion and my main accessory is a toddler). so my friends, being in full on summer mode, my mind is on loungewear. specifically swimsuits, kitten heels or wedges, shorts or long shirts to wear over swimsuits, basically all things worn on summer vacation (even though there is no summer vacation in sight for me). my gingham obsession continues, as does my obsession with pvc or plastic shoes (although i’ve moved on from boots to wedges for summer, natch). i’m still coo-coo for dries van noten and 80’s/90’s norma kamali, but i’ve recently become crazy for fallen fashion stars of the 90’s like moschino, betsey johnson, anna sui and most especially isaac mizrahi.
surely by now you’ve seen these incredible photos by nick waplington, and you may have seen shots of the isaac mizrahi exhibit at the jewish museum in nyc, so it seems that isaac mizrahi is having a bit of a moment. this, to me, is wonderful because he pretty much single handedly made me love fashion. although my love of clothes has been with me since birth, my love of fashion can be traced back to seeing unzipped at an art house theater when it came out in 1995. i was a punk rock teenager whose love of vintage was large but whose mind was set against the fashion industry by my hippie mother and the riot grrl/third-wave feminism movement. unzipped was sort of the moment that i got it. so isaac mizrahi holds a special place in my heart. as do his brilliant sack pants.
below are the things i’m dreaming of for summer.
- first are these crazy great kitten heels by moschino circa the 90’s ($115) that are like a lil’ fruit salad for your toes.
- next is this crazy cute red gingham top that was just made to wear over a bikini by our friends at moschino ($70)
- and then we have this fully amazing red gingham halter dress with a collar by isaac mizrahi ($110). a piece so lovely and rare that i’d buy it in a heartbeat were it not miniature size.
- next is this matching cactus print pajama style top ($52) & high waisted shorts ($50) from topshop which are undeniably adorable.
- then we have this way cute gingham short ($140) & top ($150) combo from solid & stripes.
- next is this way rad vintage pink striped over sized button down ($88) which is totally perfect for the over bathing suit pantsless look.
- and while we’re on oversized button downs that are perf for over swimsuits, here is one from dries van noten ($198).
- speaking of swimsuits, this navy number with a bow from h&m is adorable ($35).
- i love this bikini with underwire top ($39) and high waisted bottoms ($39) aka bikini for moms from j.crew in gingham. gingham, gingham, gingham.
- next is this crazy rad vintage norma kamali swimsuit ($70) if you do not have a mom body and wish to share that with the world.
- moving on to footwear, my plastic shoe dreams have been answered with these olympia wedges from maryam nassir zadeh in bubblegum ($408).
- prada did a plastic mule back in 2010, and they still look wonderful from here. ($386)
- but of course celine did the plastic mule best. additionally these guys are only $55. you’re welcome.