spring hath sprung, that time of year where we want to shake off the winter blues and wear all the cute shit again. personally i like seeing trends making their rounds, especially because “street style” seems to have as much of an influence on fashion as fashion does on the masses these days. this spring is shaping up to be pretty gucci-centric, which i could not heart more. so, you have your bomber jacket, right? cool, let’s do this then.
- let’s dive right into the gucci, shall we? alessandro michele has pretty much changed everything with his kooky, more-is-more, psychedelic 60’s meets the royal tennenbaums aesthetic. one of the recurring themes of his latest collections is that of embroidered animals and beaded folk-art flowers. snakes, tigers and birds appear regularly, and i’m seeing lots of embroidered animals & flowers showing up. zara has this gorgeous long black gown with animal embroidery ($99). over at pixie market is this peach embroidered floral dress ($56). h&m has this beaded mini skirt ($199).
- brightly striped knit dresses are making the rounds thanks to gucci and celine. zara has this multicolored crocheted dress ($59). cmeo collective has this striped dress ($159). and zara also has this long striped dress ($99).
- continuing our tour of gucci progeny, let’s talk shoes. gucci featured plenty of block heeled suede loafers, “criss cross” high heeled mules, and of course their now infamous mule loafer “slipper” (fur optional). so, from the top: topshop has these burgundy block heel loafers ($100), jeffrey campbell has these criss cross heels ($135), and topshop has these mule loafers ($100).
- next up is the peasant dress. while this one is hardly new, we seem to be moving on from mexico and morocco to turkey and the eastern bloc by way of fanm mon and ulla johnson. madewell has this simple eyelet nightbreeze dress ($155), and h&m has lots to choose from like this beaded cotton dress with turkish stripes ($99). my personal fave is this ace & jig flicker dress ($265), for sale at my favorite shop in the whole wide world: kitkitdizzi.
- next stop is white sneakers, which are sticking around for spring, as evidenced by alexander wang and red valentino. i’m warming up to this one, but i prefer to keep it old school. addidas superstars ($80), good old white chuck taylors ($49.95), white vans old skools ($50).
- i’m happy to see the pajamas-as-regular-clothes trend still going strong, as seen at dries van notten for fall. rodarte collaborated with & other stories and made this perfect top (which sold out in 2 seconds). zara has 2 suits that offer rad options for the pj look: this printed navy number ($39.99) and this beautiful ivory suit ($149).
- next we have the trend rachel comey got started: distressed hem jeans. it seems the powers that be have decided to take things up a notch and hems are now ultra fringey or hacked off. to that end: objects without meaning flare jeans ($135), h&m kick flare jeans ($29), zara mid rise skinny jeans ($50). pick your poison.
- next stop is ruffle tops! don’t forget the big cuffs! and who better to represent than ruffle queen rosie assoulin? here she does it all: combining ruffles with big cuffs all in an off the shoulder top ($1195). h&m came out with this ruffle blouse ($49) which is a ringer for this miu miu top circa 2015. pixie market is really your one stop destination for all ruffle/enormous cuffed tops, i’m partial to this one ($98).
- next is one close to my heart: high waisted, cropped, wide leg sailor pants. jesse kamm got this party started back in 2008, and truly, you should accept no substitutes ($395). i do have to smile when i see her influence, take for example these j. crew rayner cropped jeans ($140), or these camel denim culottes from topshop ($45), and of course the caron callahan stewart pant ($375).
- next is bermuda shorts! they’re back! emilia wickstead and tibi told me so! all ladies of a certain age suffering from thigh shame rejoice! vetements has these dreamy ones ($735), and allll the way on the other end of the spectrum are these pretty piscine blue ones from forever 21 ($19). somewhere in the middle is vintage: i love these 80’s babes over on etsy ($38).
- next is the cold shoulder look. it’s everywhere. even rachel comey got in on this one, so it must be cool. i’m crazy about this satin poplin dress by tibi ($395), this star print top from reformation ($128), and this beyond dreamy satin dress from zara ($150).
- next is the circle bag. currently all the rage is this one from mansur gavriel ($1095). urban outfitters has this denim one ($19), forever 21 has this faux leather one ($25) and i love this lofti serus circle bag ($120).
- next we have the suede mule, brought to us by the incredible maryam nassir zadeh ($360), and currently being re-done by literally everyone. front row shop pink suede mules ($92), destructed leather sandals by mango ($69) and h&m ($29).
- next stop is laces, and not on your shoes, seen all over but most awesomely in a lemon yellow dress at proenza schouler and of course in denim at gucci. pixie market has this denim lace up top ($48), another denim lace up top at urban outfitters ($69), and free people has this amazing lace up bodysuit ($58).
- let’s end where we began: with gucci. accessories are looking gucci-fied too. gucci showed semi-creepy aviators, neck scarfs galore, and rad brass tigers on belts and bags. from the top we have these retro glasses from zara ($19.90), a brightly striped neck scarf from topshop ($22), and this amazing vintage lion belt from spanish moss ($78).