as fashion week wraps up we can all breathe a sigh of relief and get back to our regularly scheduled programs. i had saved lots of my favorite looks from lots of designers (victoria beckham’s slip dresses, isa arfen’s ruffles, delpozo’s pleats). i had thoughts about my favorite collections (jason wu, jonathan simkhai, altuzarra). but i realized something: things have changed. this band of independent designers that have emerged have really influenced not only the bottom but the top of the fashion food chain as well. there were moments of the wild extravagance and fantasy that runway shoes once provided on the regular, but on the whole, high fashion has become far less high and much more wearable. and that’s cool. but really the collections that i was most excited to see were those by smaller labels like creatures of comfort and rachel antonoff. so i thought i would put together a list of my top 10 favorite designers.
- jesse kamm. jesse kamm, jesse kamm, jesse kamm. she’s the queen of my world right now. she is aiming to build a handsome army with her amazingly well constructed, chic looks that are often inspired by films. she makes wardrobe staples, right here in california. for the record i want to be buried in her sailor pant.
- apiece apart. this line of “elevated basics” is right behind jesse kamm for me. impeccable tailoring and beautiful fabrics make their pieces look so gorgeous on. i’m dying for their high waist cropped jeans in japanese raw. made by a denim expert in texas!
- creatures of comfort. enjoying a bit of a moment in the sun right now, and jade lai’s spring collection killed it at fashion week. her pieces are brilliant in their mix of masculine and feminine, simple yet complex and so wearable. i wish i could stock my closet with her basics in brilliant shades of flax and olive (and of course her pistachio knits). this tank dress is a great example.
- rachel comey. she really does it all, and her pieces are always soft and lovely while maintaining her downtown ny cool. i am crazy about her shoes, but her jumpsuits and pants get me every time.
- black crane. the ultimate minimal clothing line with pieces that are so elegant, all made in los angeles. their dresses always make me swoon.
- electric feathers. leana zuniga’s beautiful pieces are pretty & playful but clean and smart, like sexy workwear. with hand woven fabrics and pieces that are often hand dyed, it’s all unique and so cool. her jumpsuits kill me dead.
- maryam nassir zadeh. so, maryam nassir zadeh is a genius. clearly. i could look at her web shop all day and feel infinitely inspired without ever having to buy a thing. her clothing is out of this world with fantastic colors and her designs are original and cinematic and insanely chic. and her shoes are obviously a thing of beauty.
- a new favorite is town clothes. founded in 2013, this l.a. label produces incredibly cool pieces all named after some of my favorite california spots. i’m crazy crazy for their color blocked cotton twill & raw silk guerneville bixby block pant and their road trip top. i wish them so, so much success because i can’t wait to see more from them.
- another produced in los angeles label that is climbing the charts is alexandra michelle’s objects without meaning. each piece is designed as “a vessel to be filled by the wearer.” her pieces are beautifully tailored and beautifully simple. i’ve been dreaming about her amber dress non-stop since first laying eyes on it.
- last but certainly not least is a designer out of up and coming nashville, tn. elizabeth suzann makes clothing that is practical and modern but classic and really full of grace. her pieces flow so beautifully, and her jumpsuits are the best, but i really heart her raw silk pants.