well my friends, fall is upon us. it is a wonderful time for re-building your wardrobe and i have an idea or two how to do it. i keep an eye on the big designer collections and try to think about how it translates to the masses, and this year there’s more than a few realistic ways to look v v fashionable.
- first up on the list of fall trends is this entire look styled by pixie market. grey was a big deal throughout the fall collections and this grey knit pencil skirt and matching crop top are an awesome way to bring the pencil skirt/crop top look into the colder months. pixie market has it styled with a couple of other big trends for fall: the wool floppy hat and the skinny scarf.
- next up is the ever present military look, which is still rolling into fall. the flight suit is a biggie for fall, but this reworked short flight suit from bliss and mischief is a stellar way to go. i love this look with black stilettos. forever 21 has a similar version right here.
- next up is turtlenecks. there’s a definite nerd-core/minimal vibe out there but you don’t have to go all the way. this mock neck midi dress by toit volant maintains your pretty and it also has highly chic raglan square sleeves.
- the “boho” look is coming on strong, and i’m seeing a lot of gypsy dresses in wine/oxblood and burnt orange. i will always prefer the vintage version of these dresses, but you can’t beat this pretty printed dress from zara for a mere $69.90.
- next stop is plaid. plaid is still rad for fall. good old flannel shirts are everywhere but i love this buffalo plaid jumpsuit from forever 21.
- next is denim on denim, still going strong. this cropped denim button down from urban outfitters is appropriately styled: look for skinny scarves, bandanas and neck ties and tights this fall.
- the off-the-shoulder look is here to stay for fall. you’ll be seeing lots of ribbed/knit off the shoulder tops like this pretty grey one from forever 21.
- the “it” coat of last fall was surely the capote coat from lauren manoogian. you’ll see lots of knit “coatigans” this fall, and this one from h&m is pretty much a ringer for the lauren manoogian coat of yore.
- next is fringe. fringe is on everything from sweaters to shorts to boots and leather and suede. this ivory fringe belted dress from pixie market is a good way to go.
- next is the embellished heel. many of the big fashion houses put out some pretty wild and impractical ankle boots, but zara has this lovely pair that you may even be able to walk in.
- high waisted, 70’s style jeans are all the rage, like these indigo babies from asos. pair them with that light denim top and you’ve got the whole denim on denim thing down.
- the grid print is sticking around, and so are cropped pants or culottes. why not combine the two with these window pane sailor pants from jesse kamm?
- the floppy hats of summer are coming back in wool and knits for fall, like this grey wool-blend fedora from forever 21.
- so, loafers are the new ballet flat. yeah, i said it. these kelsi dagger victory loafers are a tres cool.
- last but not least are over the knee boots. they are evvverywhere. these boiler red suede ones from zara are perfect for fall.