i grew up in the 80’s and i was a teenager in the 90’s, so neon holds a special place in my heart. i clearly recall the day that the rolling stones record dirty work arrived in the mail from the columbia record & tape club. my mom was not yet sure that she wanted to keep it, but seeing the AWESOME neon cover photo i demanded that she did. these days neon has made a comeback, and i see it from high fashion all the way down the food chain to us common folk. here are some ideas for rocking neon without looking like a gawky teenager circa 1986.
accessories. a pop of neon in an accessory is a safe way to go. for example:
- these ray ban aviators look like a neon sunset.
- neon clogs are the coolest of the cool, like these flo yellow ones from sven clogs, or these pink & yellow cuties from sophia webster.
- a pair of neon stilettos are hot stuff, like these white and neon yellow ones from qupid or these neon mint green ones from shoe republic la.
- there’s nothing more 80’s rad than this nylon pack gym bag from american apparel.
- i’m crazy about these two tone leather pouches from comme des garcons.
- how about this tetra iphone case from zero gravity.
makeup. i always smile when i see neon makeup. you can go all out like a robert palmer backup singer or keep it simple with a bright lip.
- these color sensational vivid lipsticks from maybelline are pretty hot and good old mac has this hot pink number.
- nars has this neon pink blush.
- urban decay has this electric pressed pigment eyeshadow pallet that would be really neat to play around with while dancing around the house to duran duran’s rio.
- american apparel has a whole bunch of neon nailpolishes, like this one in parakeet.
an accent piece. one piece of bright color can do a lot for an all black or white ensemble.
- this waffle knit cardigan from forever 21 comes in neon yellow or pink.
- i love the peek-a-boo bra look when the bra is neon yellow like this one from agent provocatuer.
- i heart these nothing but neon high waited jeans from go jane.
- i’m a huge fan of the neon swimsuit. especially this gorgeous estrada cut out suit from mara hoffman. and j. crew just put out a whole gaggle of neon swimwear, like this underwire one piece in 3 shades of neon.
go all the way with a dress or romper.
- this electric poppy red dress from lovers & friends is hotsy totsy and features the angelina jolie peek-a-boo leg so you can do that pose all night long.
- this surplice romper in neon yellow from fashion union is way smart.
- topshop has this scallop lace orange dress featuring neat-o straps.
- this little neon pink skater dress from d.RA is real, real cute.
- this neon green lace tent dress harkens back to the 60’s. now that’s vintage neon.
- h&m has this cute little neon yellow short sleeved lace dress.
- pixie market has this midi skirt and crop top set that is totes adorbs.
- last is this neon rose romper with sheer sleeves from asos.