i went through a phase in my early 20’s where all that i wore was black. granted, it was a bit of a goth phase, but mostly i was so freaked out by the awful trends of the late 90’s/early 2000’s that i saw going on that i wanted to hide in black. over the last few years black has been on the outs a little, but this year i have heard-tell that black is the new black. but how does a lady wear black in the hottest of months, one might ask? well, dear reader, i’ll show you how.
- a trapeze dress is light and breezy for summer, but typically they are too short and too susceptible to wind lifting. forever 21 has this adorable button back trapeze dress that is knee length. amen. $27.90.
- i love this culotte jumpsuit from topshop. it’s loose and breezy but tres chic. $95.
- this pretty dress from zara has a round neck and asymmetrical hem and a gorgeous crochet back. on sale for $29.99
- crazy about this simple, everyday peg jumper from lauren manoogian. $252.
- this waylon jennings muscle tee is the coolest and trust me, waylon goes with everything. $68.
- this textured bustier from h&m is like channeling every pop star or supermodel shot by herb ritts in the 80’s. $24.99
- i really like that this faux wrap back romper from target is a modest length and looks super comfy but also super cute and not like pajamas. $27.99
- here is a romper that is mighty short, but the tailoring and sweetheart neckline are perfect. boxy crepe romper from forever 21. $19.90
- i am totally lusting after these lace up sandals from urban outfitters. $59.
- black pants in the summer seem like a crazy idea, but these breezy okinawa culottes from farrow are light as a feather and insanely lovely. $58.
- this black sheer midi skirt from shakuhachi is so beautiful and brilliant that it hurts my feelings. unattached little black boy shorts are included. on sale for $154.
- these little miista espadrille sandals are such a smart take on the trend. they are so tulum mexico meets soho or boho meets goth. on sale for $69.
- the name moto fringe mom shorts feels like a whole lot of wrong, but these babies are so right. $70.
- i love this take on the gladiator sandal. they have a slight wedge and are perfect for wearing with short shorts or minis. $129.
- last is this smocked dress with pretty batwing sleeves and floral eyelet embroidery from F21. this would be cute over a swimsuit or with those tall gladiators and a bright red lipstick. $29.90.