well it happened. we are into 90 degree days and just like that! summer is here. i am tending towards cooler recipes, and trying to do more than just salad every night. these are our favorites in the hot hot heat.
- fresh spring rolls with peanut sauce. this is one that i could eat most days. it’s light and the peanut sauce is not overly sweet or salty.
- chard and black bean tacos with zucchini salsa from love and lemons. i love sneaking greens in by using chard, it’s really mild and works great with mexican spices. these tacos are super good.
- when i do actually use the oven it is typically to make these southwest quinoa stuffed peppers. they are my husband’s favorite, and my baby is oddly obsessed with bell peppers. go figure.
- all hail the bowl, and this spiralized sushi bowl is pretty awesome. i love the idea of using daikon radish instead of white sushi rice. i typically use nutrition stripped’s dressing instead of the miso sauce for a sushi bowl to avoid soy.
- zucchini noodles with pistachio kale pesto and cherries. zucchini rules the roost in summer, and zoodles are a funny thing. my husband doesn’t like them, but i like em in summer cause they are cool. this pistachio kale pesto from edible perspective is pretty great, and the tart cherries really set it off.
- veggie burrito bowl with avocado lime crema. i tend to chop up some red leaf lettuce & purple cabbage, add black beans with cumin, chopped tomato & onion & add some olives and scallions and top with avocado lime crema and it’s a great dinner. you can also add rice or a grain, but i like to keep it light on hot days.
- a heartier take on the burrito bowl is this southwestern kale power salad from cookie + kate. it’s got quinoa and sweet potatoes and a similar cilantro lime avocado sauce which is rad for summer.
- every summer i crave my mama’s pasta salad. this recipe from vikalinka comes really close and can easily be vegan and gluten free with gluten free pasta.
- i love this spicy black bean & lime quinoa salad. it’s really great for hot days.
- last and probably most favorite is vegan sushi. we could pretty much eat it every day in our house.