with my best friend getting married, i wanted to do a little something for her bridal shower. i first saw monogrammed coin purses in martha stewart’s living, but found that (like most of her diy tutorials) there was little instruction and the results were not as pictured in her perfectly styled photos. it took some trial and error but i was able to make about 10 of these that turned out pretty darn cute.
you will need:
- small coin purses (i got mine from forever 21 for $4, american apparel for $9, and a few from various thrift stores that ran me about $1 each)
- fabric glue (i tried a few kinds, but aleene’s fabric fusion was by far the best for this project)
- 1/4 wide sequin strands (i got mine at joann’s, for about $3)
- optional: fabric marker (for tracing letters onto purse before gluing)
- q-tips (for holding sequins in place as you lay out letters, and for cleaning up excess glue)
- leather cleaner (i used kiwi shoe cleaning wipes)
- either draw out the letter onto the purse with a fabric marker, or practice laying the sequins on without glue to get an idea of how you want your lettering. you can do cursive or printed letters, whatever style you like, but i suggest practicing a few before you glue.
- glue the sequins on to the bag. i found it was best and least messy to put the glue on to the sequins, and then lay them onto the purse, using a q-tip to push and hold them in place for a few seconds. after you have laid your sequins in place, use the q-tips to clean up any excess glue while it is still wet.
- let dry for 24 hours, then clean up the area around the sequins using leather cleaner.