in honor of valentine’s day i made a little playlist that includes 21 of my favorite “love” songs so that you may dance the night away with your sweetheart.
- sign of your love (the veils). a dreamy, pensive opener from one of my favorite current bands.
- book of love (fleetwood mac). melodic remedy for what ails you and that incredible harmonizing from lindsey buckingham and his ladies.
- to love somebody (nina simone). this is probably my favorite nina simone song. it’s the only one that i know of that features girl group style back up singers.
- love buzz (nirvana). i appreciate kurt cobain’s wit (and especially his voice) in such a huge way when i hear this song.
- words of love (buddy holly). a little something sweet.
- 100 other lovers (devotchka). nothing more romantic than a polka.
- lengths of love (interpol). lengths and lengths and lengths and lengths.
- i let love in (nick cave). just one of the many songs that showcases exactly why nick cave evokes a whole hearted swoon from all kinds of ladies.
- black hearted love (pj harvey & john parish). not the obvious choice for a love song from polly harvey, but i consider this song to be a bit of a hidden gem. and it’s highly romantic.
- some kinda love (velvet underground). and no kinds of love are better than others.
- strangelove (depeche mode). one for the goth teenager in us all.
- love vigilantes (new order). kind of a perfect song.
- modern love (david bowie). never gonna fall for!
- lover’s rock (the clash). joe strummer was kinda the dreamiest dude ever. kinda.
- love henry (bob dylan). for my love, henry.
- love will tear us apart (joy division). please. only the best.
- love in a trashcan (the raveonettes). my guy told me about this song. and it is rad.
- love my way (psychedelic furs). for the 80’s teenager in us all.
- loving cup (rolling stones). just one of the greats from one of the great albums from one of the greats!
- fall in love with me (iggy pop). i love a man who suggests outfits in a love song. or maybe your plastic raincoat.
- sea of love (tom waits). a classic sung from the bottom of a bottle of cheap champagne. we’ll end it on that.