i’ve been trying to make most of my christmas gifts this year, and i happen to have a ridiculous amount of mason jars laying around. i decided to quick pickle some veggies, and they turned out bangin’.
quick pickling is insanely easy and fast, they take just a few minutes to make and can be eaten after a few hours and they keep up to a week in the fridge. the longer that they sit, the stronger the flavor. you can choose whatever veggies you like (green beans, cauliflower, carrots, red onion, pearl onions, and jalapenos to name a few) and you can choose between apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar or rice vinegar. for a more asian flavor i go with the apple cider or rice vinegars and for a bloody mary mix or mexican flavor i use white wine vinegar. you can also experiment with different spices like peppercorns, garlic, red pepper flakes, mustard seeds, and dill. it’s a pickling party, dudes.
because these are best made in small batches, this recipe will fill 2 8oz size mason jars. no need to boil the jars, just wash and dry before filling.
- 2 cups of thinly sliced veggies of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- spice or seasoning of your choice (such as 2 cloves garlic, sliced, or 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns)
- in a pot combine the water, vinegar, sugar & salt and any seasonings you choose and bring to a boil
- chop your veggies into thin slices, matchsticks when possible, and fill each jar with veggies
- once liquid has been brought to a boil & sugar has dissolved, remove from heat
- let cool for about 5 minutes, then fill each jar with liquid
- cover and refrigerate for up to a week