i love a good burger. there’s really something to it. but i haven’t found a good vegan burger recipe that didn’t include soy, wheat, or wasn’t really soggy. i’ve been working on one for a while now and last night i finally achieved success. my almost one year old son even polished off an entire burger on his own. this to me is success.
these burgers include chickpeas and quinoa for a little protein and use onion cooked in coconut oil for a little flavor, along with a bit of gluten free oats and flaxseed meal to get rid of any soggyness. you may use canned garbonzo beans or cook your own, and you may use leftover quinoa or prepare just before making the burgers. the taste is subtle and they are light but filling.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- pre-heat oven to 350
- heat the coconut oil in a sautee pan and then add in the onion & cook until translucent, add in the chickpeas and heat for another minute or so
- place all of the ingredients into a food processor along with your cooked onion & chickpeas and pulse to combine until consistency is thick
- line a baking sheet with foil & spray with non-stick spray and then place burgers onto sheet & cook for 35 minutes, flipping them half way through